Website of the Royal New South Wales Lancers Lancer Barracks and Museum
Lancer Barracks and Museum are open for inspection next Sunday, Sunday, August 03, 2014 10:00 - 16:00 hrs. We are open every Sunday.
They were erected on the orders of Governor Macquarie to replace earlier barracks in Parramatta town.
Commenced in 1818, they were completed in 1820, the architect was Lieutenant John Watts of the 46th Regiment. They were to stand in an area of 3.25ha, and were designed for a company (approximately 100 officers and men).
They served as a barracks for British regiments stationed here in convict days. Some of the men would have served under Wellington in the Napoleonic wars.
British Regiments with detachments stationed at Parramatta Barracks, 1820-1850
The original buildings included the two-storey building overlooking the parade ground and the single storey "Bobs Hall" nearby. There was also a twin of Bobs Hall, equal and opposite to it. There were also stables, kitchens, and privies on the perimeter. The three main buildings form three sides of a square. The walls are of sandstock brick. The two storey building was of Georgian design; the balcony and verandah were added in the C1830s.
During the 1830s, the number of troops quartered in Parramatta grew to over 360, several additional buildings in the town had to be used for military quarters. One of these was Linden House, then known as the School of Industry. When the garrison was withdrawn in 1850, the Police and Military Volunteers occupied the barracks. The Lancers came to Parramatta in 1891 when K Troop was added to the Regiment and was based in what was soon to be known as Lancer Barracks. After the South African War, the remaining single storey building was re-named "Bobs Hall" after Lord Roberts VC, the Commander in Chief.
By this time land had been taken for railway and education purposes, and with the arrival of the Lancers, accommodation was provided for the permanent cadre. An Edwardian House for the Adjutant, and a cottage for the Staff-Sergeant. In C1910, a drill hall was added. The stables were converted to a Sergeants Mess, and an Officers Mess added in the 1930s. In the 1980s, the Officers Mess was demolished, and the Sergeants Cottage renovated as a mess; the Officer's house was converted into offices.
The three principal buildings in the barracks grounds are now protected against demolition under the New South Wales Heritage Act 1977
© New South Wales Lancers Memorial Museum Incorporated
ABN 94 630 140 881 - - - Site Updated August 2014
Lancer Barracks, 2 Smith Street, Parramatta NSW 2150, Australia
Telephone +61 (0)405 482 814, Facsimile +61 (0)2 4733 3951 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Regimental enquiries call: +61 (0)2 9635 7822