The Royal New South Wales Lancers
The Guidons of cavalry regiments are similar to the colours carried by Infantry battalions. Once used as rallying points in battle, they now embody the spirit of the Regiment's past. Presented by the head of state (or a person representing the head of state), they are treated with great reverence. The Battle Honours are emblazoned on the Guidons.
The Guidons were first authorised for all Australian Light Horse units on 11 December 1926, replacing previous King's Banners. The present (replacement) guidons were presented in 1959 (1st) and 1985 (15th). The 1st's King's Banners are in the Museum, the original Guidons are in St John's Cathedral Parramatta (1st) and St Andrews Church Lismore (15th).
Click on the Battle Honour links below to view a description. Some of the descriptions are illustrated and most have location maps.